Agricultural Career Education
Encourage and Educating Young People for Agricultural Careers
With the general shortage of workers because of demographic trends and the overall decline in farm familiies, keeping a supply of skilled agricultural workers has become an important theme for the survival of the industry.
Not only does the Lancaster County Agriculture Council work with traditional agriculture careers programs like the National FFA Organization but it also coordinates its efforts with the PA Commission for Agricultural Education Excellence to provide career information on a broader basis to young people in late elementary school through higher education. Its new collaboration with the North Museum of Nature and Science opens introduces STEM careers in agriculture and food to a young people in Lancaster County.
Agricultural careers are included on the Top 100 Hot Jobs in Lancaster County for the coming decade. Click here for more information.
Coordination of high school agriculture programs where they share programming, link to complementary programs at the Lancaster County Career and Technology Center, and then articulate credits with higher education at Delaware Valley University and Penn State University is a priority task of the Agriculture Council.FFA
Currently, there are 11 agriculture education programs at the following school districts which also have active PA FFA Organization chapters as a part of their work…
- Elizabethtown Area High School and Elizabethtown FFA. Contact Mark Anderson or Stephen Geib at 717-367-1533
- Ephrata Area High School and Cloister FFA. Contact Sarah Stauffer at 717-721-1478 ext. 19343
- Garden Spot High School and Grassland FFA. Contact Katie Ranck or Ashley Pierson at 717-354-1500
- Lampeter-Strasburg High School and Garden Spot FFA. Contact Holly Oberholtzer or Janae McMichael at 717-464-3311
- Lancaster County Career and Technology Center and Brownstown FFA. Contact Lori Hess at 717-464-7050
- Lancaster Mennonite High School and Hans Herr FFA. Contact Ryan King at 717-299-0436
- Manheim Central High School and Manheim FFA. Contact Heather Anderson, Jonathan Werning, and Seth Kensinger at 717-664-8552
- Penn Manor High School and Manor FFA. Contact Neil Fellenbaum, Jonathan Hess, Diane Glock-Cornman, or Meagan Slates at 717-872-9520
- Pequea Valley High School and Pequea Valley FFA. Contact Clair Witwer at 717-768-5500
- Solanco High School and Solanco FFA. Contact Stephanie Balmer or Kelly Lichtley, at 717-786-2151
- Warwick High School and Warwick FFA. Contact Lisa Hochreiter or Brad McClain at 717-626-3700